limitations of using Essential Open Source

john.nordien

Hello.
Is there any information regarding the limitations of the Open Source version compared to the supported version? For example, how many model layers can each version have for the Reference Models?

Cheers,
John.
JohnM

Hi John,

The differences are here https://enterprise-architecture.org/comparison.php. As you'll see we don't limit Open Source, you just get some additional features with the commercial versions. Regarding meta model and views they are exactly the same, so you can have as many layers as you like, the meta model copes with that. You'd need to amend the view to look further down than the layers we have defined - Although I think the new tech ref model is dynamic so works to the lowest level you have defined.

We keep the meta model and the out of the box views in line across the OS and commercial versions, you can migrate between them quite easily.

Hope that helps

John
john.nordien

Hi John
Thanks. I have seen the comparison information you posted.
So... how does one create the layering? I have been working with Essential AM v6.5 . I have been trying to work the Classification and the Contains Capabilities relationships without success. There is no assistance/guidance in the tool regarding Classification of an instance.

Cheers,
John.
JohnM

For the bus cap model, you create a root business capability (Your Org business or something similar) and then tie the children of that to them via the Parent Business Capabilities or Contained Capabilities slots.

You tie the capabilities directly related to the root capability to a front, middle, left, right or back classification (see classified as slot and search for one of the terms, they are in the Reference Model Layout taxonomy) to place them on the IT Asset Dashboard, or in the bus capability model

The App cap model is similar, except there is no root node, you just have the parent capabilities, note the classifications should only be left, right or middle for the app cap model

Hope that helps