KPI framework and Essential Platform

FogoVonSlack

Hi,

I have been asked to review how we might use Essential to record KPIs against Business Processes. I see there are slots for multiple Performance Measures as part of the EA_Class definition. I also looked at the O3 post https://www.enterprise-architecture.org ... f=22&t=762 and the suggestions there.

My initial thoughts are to use Essential to provide some standard reporting framework (e.g. Business Process links to Business Capabilities) and maybe to define the KPIs/ Performance measures In Essential Performance_Measure class - but actually to implement the details of KPI data capture & reporting in a different tool such as Qlik, Tableau etc. An example of a KPI might be Job Completion Cycle time in Rework Processing Business Process.

The rationale for doing this would be to provide an automated interface from our operational systems into the KPI reporting framework and a roll up hierarchy and rules to provide some summary views. This might be on a daily or weekly basis. To close the loop back into Essential and make sure that KPI reporting and Architecture are aligned I would propose calculating a KPI summary view aligned with both Business Processes and Business Capabilities from the KPI reporting framework and periodically loading this into Essential to provide a management view which is derived from the values held in the detailed KPI reporting framework.

Any comments or suggestions on the pros and cons of this approach would be appreciated.
jasonp

Hi,

I would certainly agree with your approach.As mentioned in my colleagues post, we have experience of performing KPI calculations dynamically in Essential Views based on low-level KPI values. However, this is not the most efficient, scalable or performant approach, as this entails performing any rules, calculations and aggregations on the fly. As I can imagine you have concluded, over time as the volume of fine-grained KPI data increase over time, the resulting views could become unusable. Your suggested approach overcomes this issue due to the fact that your "KPI Framework" will apply any required aggregations, rules and calculations offline and then the Essential views only need present the resulting values.

The meta-model diagram below describes my understanding of what you have in mind
Essential KPI Mapping 20190322.png
The key factors that you will need to consider are:
  • Ensuring that you maintain synchronisation of Business Capabilities/Processes between Essential and your KPI framework (achievable using external IDs)
  • If you wish to store a history of your KPIs in Essential then you can capture multiple KPI Snapshots as Business Performance Measures defined against your Business Capabilities/Processes, capturing a date against each.On the other hand, if you only need to have Essential hold the "current" KPIs then you can update the same Business Performance Measure each time (ensuring to delete any existing Business Service Quality Values beforehand - which can be automated)
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.