Server Connection Issue

JeffDG

OK, I've got the server installed, and migrated to our SQL Server (after beating my head against the wall with the "run_protege_server.bat" running a different JRE than the rest of the system!)

Now, I can run Protege on the server, and connect via 127.0.0.1, However, I can't seem to connect from a remote Protege client.

I have ensured that TCP 1099 is open on the server, and Wireshark shows traffic going back and forth, but after a minute or so I get a "Cannot conntect to server"

Any thoughts about what I might be missing?
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Good to hear that you’ve got Protege talking to the database!

If you’ve got the client talking to the server, with both running locally and connecting via localhost, then you’ve done most of the setup.

Let me ask, is the a firewall between your remote client and the Protege Server? If so, the Protege client and server will use HTTP to navigate the firewall but it is possible that the ports that they are using for the HTTP tunnelling are not open on the firewall.

You can specify the ports that Protege server should be using in the run_protege_server.bat script. Note that you also need to set these in your Protege client.

Uncomment the line in run_protege_server.bat that starts with “REM PORTOPTS”
These then specify the 2 ports - one to talk to the RMI Registry which brokers connections to the Protege RMI Server.

These default to port 5100 and 5200 but you can change these to use whatever ports are best for you.

This thread may also help

Jonathan
Essential Project Team