How can i properly represent BUC on EP

j_paglione

Hello,

I'm learning to use EP, but trying to figure it out ,I could not find a way to represent BUC in the IT world where every business process is mapped into different applications. I would like to be able to create a direct connection between the business process flow and the applications that allow it.

I wanted to know if you have any suggestions please.

Thanks for the support.

Julian
jasonp

Hi Julian,

just to clarify, are you looking to define a BUSINESS Use Case model or a SYSTEM Use Case model?

The reason for asking is that, typically, Business Use Cases would be system independent, describing the high level interactions between business actors (Group or Individual Business Roles in EP) and Business Processes, Activities or Tasks (depending on the level of detail). System Use Cases describe the interactions between business actors and logical system functions(Application Functions in EP) provided by logical systems (Application Services in EP).

In your question, you ask for a way to map Business Processes directly to Applications. When you say 'Applications', do you actually mean logical Application Functions/Services, or actual Applications (i.e. solutions that implement Application Services/Functions)?

Thanks,

Jason
j_paglione

Thanks for the reply Jason,

for applications I mean the application_provider; what I would like to have is a process that then has a flow on application providers as for the business process flow.
Maybe it's an impossible but I wanted to confirm it.

Thanks for your support.
jasonp

Hi Julian,

It is possible to model what you are describing (we have done it before), but it is quite complex in terms of the relationships that need to be created. However, we recognise the importance of capturing these models (in particular for some AI and machine learning platforms with which we have been asked to integrate) and so we are currently looking at ways to automate this kind of modelling using a simple, graphical input mechanism. We will let you know as soon as we have something we can demonstrate.

We understand tha this is may not be answer you were hoping for, but this is exactly the kind of input we are looking for so that we can prioritise our roadmap.

Regards,

Jason