Publishing of Sample Project Issue

SvenUweSchubert

Hi,

At the moment I evaluate the Essential Project Open Source stack. I have installed the Version 6.11 without any issues on a Windows 10 machine. I am able to open the 6.11 baseline Project, to work on the baseline and to publish. After publishing I can see my changes on web site.

I would like to show some Reports based on sample repository (5.05 Build 2). I run already the update package. I am now able to browse the repository within the modeler but I am not able to publish this repository.
The Publishing process stuck in stage "Sending XML snapshot..." for hours.
Essential_1.JPG
Please advise.

Thanks Sven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnM

Hi,

Hours isn't right, it should take seconds.

1) Could you post the Tomcat log please.
2) Which version of Java are you using, and which version of Tomcat?

Thanks

John
SvenUweSchubert

Hi John,

thanks for the fast Response. I have on my sandbox machine (not connected to the Internet/intranet) the following Software running:

Java : 1.7.0_80 64bit
Tomcat: 7.0.82

I have stopped the tomcat, clean the logs and restarted the tomcat. Afterthat I tried to publish again. After 10 minutes I stopped the tomcat and collected the logfiles, which are attached.

Thanks
Sven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Hi Sven,

Thanks for sending the log files.

There’s not a lot to go in there, so let me ask you some more questions:

- As the screenshot is showing progress at 100%, has the Viewer been updated with your demo content?

- What happens in Essential Viewer? Has it received the update or has the snapshot been reset to empty (in which case you will see an error message).

I think the most likely cause of trouble is memory - both within Protege and within Tomcat (Essential Viewer).
In Protege, check that you have the memory increased to 1.5GB (for 32-bit Java) or 2GB (for 64-bit Java). See this forum post for more information.

In terms of what the difference is between the baseline, empty repository and the upgraded demo repository (which has lots of content), check the memory settings on your Essential Viewer Tomcat instance. This Tomcat should have around 2GB of RAM allocated. See this blog post for more information on how to set the memory for Tomcat.

I also notice that you have the Essential Import Utility deployed to the same Tomcat instance as Essential Viewer. This often causes problems when co-deployed with Viewer. I strongly recommend that you set up a second Tomcat instance and deploy your Essential Import Utility to that second Tomcat. See this document for more information about how to do that.

Once you’ve made the above changes, make sure to restart your Tomcat instances and then try again.

If Essential Viewer is operating correctly and you are still have trouble publishing from Protege, some further thoughts about the upgrade pack:

- Can you publish the v5.0.5 sample repository - before you apply any upgrade packs?

- When you ran the upgrade on the version 5.0.5 sample repository, did you run the latest update pack (emm6to611UpgradePack.eup) or did you first run the version 5 to version 6.0 update pack (emm6UpgradePack.eup)?

If you updated your repository from version 5.0.5 using the latest upgrade pack (included in the installer), a number of important updates will be missing from the repository and you should see some errors reported in the Update Tab. However, these should not impact the operation of the Essential Viewer Tab.

I have tried publishing the Demo (5.0.5) repository upgraded straight to version 6.1.1 (using only the emm6to611UpgradePack.eup update pack). Even though there were issues with the upgrade, the publish to the Viewer ran successfully.

I then ran the v5 -> v6 update, followed by the v6 -> v6.1.1 and was able to publish successfully.

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
SvenUweSchubert

Hi Jonathan,

I have rebuild my system from the scratch with Java 1.8, Tomcat 9 and all the memory settings.
I did not install tomcat and protege, i am just copy the files and configure the Batch files.

Now it is working- thanks for your help.

Sven