Hardware requirements

mosaati

Hi

I am really interested in trying out essential project. I have a little concern regarding the hardware requirements.

What is the expected hardware requirements for a team of 5 to model for example 40 applications with their underlying components. I couldn't find any hint to minimum/optimum requirements in the installation guide.

Thanks.
JohnM

Hi,

Have a look at this link https://www.enterprise-architecture.org ... essential/

It tells you recommended hardware and memory, plus how to configure your memory settings

John
mosaati

Thank you , much appreciated.
mosaati

I have another question if I may.

I have requested from the IT department if we can host the essential project in our infrastructure. They asked if it is 3 tier designed. I can see from the architecture diagram that it is indeed 3 tier. Although, Tomcat has to be installed with protege.
They said that to consider it the application has to be installed in 3 separate servers. a server for the application (protege), a server for the web interface and a server for the database.
How to install the essential project on 3 tier servers?
jonathan.carter

The Essential toolset is designed to operated in a 3-tier architecture.

The installation process is as described in the Installation guide, replacing “localhost” with the relevant hostname of each of the servers. Specifically,

- When configuring the Protege project to become a “Protege Database”, make sure to include the hostname of the database in the server connection details.

- When publishing to Essential Viewer from the Essential Viewer tab in Protege, make sure to change the “localhost” section of the Viewer URL to be the hostname of your Viewer server. Once the Essential Viewer tab has successfully published to that Viewer, the URL will be saved in the publish history, ready for your next publish.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
mosaati

So just to recap.
According to the image I attached.
Untitled.png
There are 2 WAR files that will be deployed on the web server (secured 443 tomcat).
The Database server will by MySQL setup separately and just referenced in the application server when converting the project.
Users have to log on to the application server using the ports on the image and saving the work there which will be stored in MySQL and also publish the work on the web server.
Correct?

I feel like there is no connection between the application server and the web server.
Is the web server only used to present what ever is pushed to it?

Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

You are quite right, there is no direct link between the Application server, that is hosting the repository in Protege and the Web Application Server that is hosting the Essential Viewer. Rather we use the explicit 'publish' process to send published snapshots of the 'live' repository to the Viewer.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team