Installation on Mac OS Sierra

MarkH

Hi

I am new to Essential Project and would like to install in on my Mac OS Sierra.

I have been trying to install all the prerequisites etc, but i am not sure which versions and any environment configs i need to do.

I tried to install the Protege download, but kept getting an error saying the package was damaged etc. Can i only install version3.5 or are later versions okay

If i could be pointed to a location where i can find the required installs that are Mac OS Sierra compatible i would be really grateful

Kind Regards

Mark :D
neil.walsh

Hi Mark,

We've tested this and can replicate the issue. It's not Protege that is incompatible just the installer

However, you can also choose the "Other Java Platforms" option and that does work fine on Sierra. It runs a similar installer just not Mac specific.
ProtegeDownloadScreenshot.png
The downside of this particular package however is the lack of Mac specific configuration. This means you will need to start Protege from the command line using the run_protege.sh file. The easiest way to achieve this is to open the Terminal application and drag the run_protege.sh file onto the window.

We'll reach out to the Protege team to see if they can resolve this however I hope in the mean time this gets you started.

Thanks

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil.walsh

Hi Mark,

On further investigation we have discovered this is as a result of changes to how macOS Sierra handles signed and unsigned applications aka Gatekeeper.

There is a useful article which explains Gatekeeper in Sierra. I'll link to rather than rewrite...
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/gatekeeper-macos-sierra/

Basically, by default, Sierra prevents applications being installed that aren't signed by Apple. In earlier versions we could work around this by right-clicking on the installer but this no-longer works. Instead, you can temporarily disable the Gatekeeper feature, install then re-enable the feature if you wish to.

In summary though you can do the following to install the Mac version of Protege...

From Terminal, type the following

Code: Select all

sudo spctl --master-disable
You'll be prompted for you password.

Next, install Protege using the Mac installer.

Once complete you can re-enable Gatekeeper.
From Terminal, type the following

Code: Select all

sudo spctl --master-enable
I've tested this here and the process works fine. Let me know if you have some success with this.

Thanks

Neil
MarkH

Hi Neil

Thank you for researching this for me

I followed your steps and it worked first time

Thank you for your help and quick response

Kind Regards

Mark :D :D