Update on Null Pointer Exception with Essential 505

DeeDeeC

Hi,

Just an update on the exception that I mentioned yesterday - a null pointer error when trying to either make an essential XML snapshot or publish to viewer an essential 5.05 project in multi user mode.

Turns out that if one runs Protege with essential 4.3.1 plugins, one can produce a snapshot and publish to viewer quite happily. Protege with 5.05 plugins still returns the null pointer error in renderXML.java.
neil.walsh

I suspect this may be a Java version issue.
Which version of Java are you running?
Essential v5 requires Java 7 or above. If your running Protege using the built in Java (v6) then you need to point Protege at a higher version.
We were just discussing today what the implications are for support Java 6 but we haven't agreed on anything yet
Cheers
Neil
jonathan.carter

There's not a big code change with version 5 of those widgets, although the XML rendering software has been extended.

These have been compiled to be compliant with Java 1.5 (as have all the Protege plugins) and have been tested at length on both Windows and Mac for several months. I wonder if you could tell us a bit more about the platform on which you are running - just in case?

The thing I'd like to check is that the upgrade of the widgets to v5 has removed any 'old' v4 dependencies, e.g. the older version of the XML rendering. If you could let us know the file name for the XML rendering library for both the Viewer tab and the Snapshot tab, I think that would help confirm - especially if there are 2 versions! The file in question should be:

essential-xml-3.0.jar

You can find these in:
<PROTEGE_INSTALL>/plugins/com.enterprise_architecture.essential.widgets

<PROTEGE_INSTALL>/plugins/com.enterprise_architecture.essential.snapshot

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team