how to configure two instances with independent bdd

vhquijia

Hi everyone

I need to configure a testing environment at the same server where is located the production environment

How to do:
How to configure bdd different (1.- production, 2 .- test)
How to configure metaproject (production and test)

The propose is that the database can't be modify for different environments

Thanks
Regards

Victor H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Each Protege repository (and therefore your environment) is stored in a single table in a database. Therefore, you can have your test repository in one table and your production repository in another table - all within the same database, on the same server. Each is quite compact and this approach works well.

The Protege PPRJ file controls where the instances and classes are stored. The target table that the repository will use is defined in the “Convert to Database” dialog in Protege. This means that you will have one PPRJ for production and a separate PPRJ for test environment.

http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... o-database

You then create a Project instance in the metaproject for each of these - production and test. Give each one an easy-to-identify name and in the Location field, specify the full path to the PPRJ file for each.

http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... etaproject

When you have finished, you will have 2 instances of the Project class in the metaproject. After restarting the Protege server, you will see both in the Project selection window when you try to make a client connection - one production, one test.

You can then repeat this to create as many environments as you wish - each one with its own PPRJ, its own entry in the metaproject (as an instance of Project) and it’s own TABLE in the database that you have created for Protege to use.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gdamico

Hi Victor,

I'm new to Essential and Protégé but i think I can give you some advice about how to achieve your goal.

The Metaproject
There's one metaproject per Protégé server, its function is to manage the setting at server scope, that includes what projects will that server handle.

You could edit the existing metaproject and duplicate the existing Essential AM Repository project assigning representative name for the new instance (let's call it TEST_Project for this explanation).After doing so you will only need to define the new repository (let's call it TEST_Repository for this explanation) pprj location in TEST_Project. Depending on whether you want a new fresh repository or a copy of the existing one you will have to run the Essential installer (fresh repository) or simply copy the existing essential_baseline_v4.3.1.pprj, essential_baseline_v4.3.1.pins and essential_baseline_v4.3.1.pont files to the location defined in TEST_Project.

This approach will allow users to choose TEST_Project from the projects list shown when they connect to the server. Using the TEST_Project security settings inherited from the Project metaclass you can define who can read, write, or even see the project in the list. I think this can be done simply duplicating the existing groups and assigning the required roles and members.

Using a different metaproject could require a new Protégé Server and RMI Server, and I don't know if this is even posbile in the same physical server. If so, It would be more cumbersome.

The Database
Once installed your TEST_Repository, open it and follow the same procedure used to convert the existing repostory to one RDBMS based. The conversion option will show the form where you define a new database (as you did before, you will have to create it by your own) or the same database but a new table name (I prefer this). You will have to follow a similar approach for the corresponding annotations project if you need one.

Tomcat
You just need to deploy an alternative copy of the viewer using the tomcat application deployment mechanisms.

I hope this will help

Regards
Gian Piero D'Amico
Enterprise Architect
vhquijia

Hi Jonathan and Gian Piero

Thanks, is ok

Regards

Victor H :)