Managing users

andymwood

Hi,

I've created a base multi-install - and I can log on with the admin account.

However I can't understand 2 things

1. During the initial server startup, the text mentions that the default plain-text password has been converted and a new template view should be used to view the user information. how do I do that?

2. How do I manage users? Do I open the metaproject on the server (as that doesn't seem to work). Can I/do I move the metaproject to a database? If so - how can I administer users and groups then?

Thanks in advance.
jonathan.carter

Hi.

User access in the modelling side is controlled from the Protege metaproject.

(Users access for Viewer is controlled from within the configuration of the Essential Viewer web application)

The metaproject is normally quite small and although I believe it is possible to persist it using a database backend, in practice there is no need (unlike the Essential repository).

I appreciate that you have probably already read our documentation about configuring the Metaproject, which covers user definition and access control.

It is worth noting that if it appears that the changes that you've made to the metaproject are not being applied, try first stopping the server; open and update the metaproject; saving it and restarting the server.
Also check that the metaproject file (metaproject.pprj) is the one that the server is configured to use. By default this is located in:
<Protege Install>/examples/server
and the Essential Architecture Manager installer deploys a starter-for-10 metaproject here.

In the latest release of Protege (3.4.4), the metaproject now encrypts the passwords for the user - they used to be plain text in the metaproject, so the form you see to create a new user might look slightly different to some of the screenshots in our metaproject documentation.

I think the messages that you are seeing are related to this change in the metaproject structure from the Protege 3.4.4 release. I'm going to post a default version of the metaproject for you to download and try. You will need to create your users and the project definitions for your Essential repository but the steps in the documentation provide what you need to do.

I'll post back here when I've uploaded the default metaproject.

We'll then get an updated version of the 'starter' metaproject released over the next couple of days.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

I've uploaded a ZIP archive of the default metaproject this is distributed with Protege 3.4.4

You can download it from our Sample Repositories Share Area.

A starter metaproject with a template definition of the Essential repository project will be released very shortly.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

For anyone who is experiencing problems connecting clients to the server in multi-user mode running on Protege 3.4.4, a revised version of the starter configuration for the Essential Architecture Manager Protege server (as installed by the Essential Installer) is now available in the sample repositories, Share area: This configuration includes the details for the Essential Architecture Manager Project repository but needs to have users defined and the locations of the repository project files to be defined as per your installation.

This is a patch release to replace the starter configuration installed by the Essential installer. A new version of the Essential Architecture Manager installer will use this new (1.1) version of the server configuration project.

See the earlier posts in this thread for background.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team