Essential Snapshot

jcwillard

Once I have taken a snapshot in Essential XML format, is it possible to import that snapshot into another repository? In other words, if I have built a dev/test instance on a local VM workstation instance, can I move the repository to production with a snapshot?

In brief: What is the best way to move content from a dev/test instance to production?
jonathan.carter

Thanks for your post.

If you are moving the repository between environments, the Protege files export format in the Snapshot Tab would be the best format. This will produce the 3 files (pprj, pins, pont) that hold the repository. You can then move these, e.g. from test to production, by moving the files and if your target environment uses a database backend, you can then convert this 'moved' repository from the 3 files to the data base format.

Note that you should be using the Snapshot Tab for this. The exported XML snapshot created by the Essential Viewer Tab is stripped down for use by Viewer and is more complex to move to another repository (although it is possible...)

Jonathan
Essential Project Team