Essential report server error

jcwillard

I have downloaded the essential project for evaluation, and I confess that I am unfamiliar with Tomcat. I am installing on a Windows 2K8 R2 VM in VMware Workstation. I am able to view the homepage of the essential viewer as well as click on the various buttons and links to catalogs. However, within the Protégé application, on the essential viewer tab, I am unable to publish the repository. My error is "No response from the Report Service at this URL."

Reading the other posts on this site I have done several things to troubleshoot. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the essential application and the Tomcat server. I have examined the log files. I am getting a 500 error with both GET and POST requests to the reportService URL

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 - - [28/Mar/2014:06:54:16 -0700] "GET /essential_viewer/reportService HTTP/1.1" 500 1839
The localhost log also records a NullPointerException error as seen below

28-Mar-2014 06:54:19.268 SEVERE [28] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet [reportService] in context with path [/essential_viewer] threw exception

as far as I can tell, the problem is that the report server servlet has not properly deployed. Can you give me any guidance on how to overcome this?
jonathan.carter

The reportService servlet is part of the Essential Viewer web application, which normally means that if the Viewer is working, then so should the reportService.

Depending on the size of the repository that you are publishing, it is possible that the Tomcat JVM has run out of memory. On Windows, this can easily be increased by opening the "Manage Tomcat" app from the system tray (e.g. if you are running Tomcat as a service) or from the Start menu in the Apache Tomcat folder.

In this app, go to the 'Java' tab and specify a maximum memory pool of 1536MB on 32-bit Windows, or 2048MB on 64-bit JVMs.

For more information on the nature of the error that the reportService is encountering, please look in the catalina.log file. Feel free to post any details of the exception back here and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gdamico

Jhonathan

I'm getting exactly this same error at the same moment. I have attached a zip file with relevant logs.

My environment:

- Single Server Installation: Windows Server 2012 R2 (Azure VM) 64bits
- Java 1.8 32-bit
- Tomcat 8 using java 1.8 32-Bit
- Protege 3.5 (bundled JVM) 32-Bit

Workarounds performed:

- Tomcat maximum memory pool set to 1536MB
- Tomcat POST size limit parameter set to 0.

I don't know what else to do/check, I would really appreciate your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gian Piero D'Amico
Enterprise Architect
neil.walsh

Hi,

The issue here is with Tomcat 8. The approach to file paths has changed in this version and an update to Essential is required to address this. You can resolve this by using Tomcat 7 or updating the web.xml file of the Viewer. See this post for more information.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1071&p=18889&hilit=web.xml#p18889

This issue will be resolved in our next release.

Thanks

Neil
gdamico

Hi,

I solved my problem using the information in that topic few days ago.

Thanks a lot
Gian Piero D'Amico
Enterprise Architect