Opening a project in Protege 4.3.0

whatteaux

I've installed Protege (4.3.0 build 304), Apache TomCat (6.0), GraphViz (2.26.3) and Essential (Standalone; 4.3), and Java (JRE 1.7.0-b147, a.k.a 1.7.0_45). As far as I can tell, everything seems to be more-or-less working.

However, when I fire up Protege, it doesn't behave the way that the Essential 'Getting started' guide (http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... ture-model) tells me it should. In particular, there is no 'Welcome' dialogue asking me for a project to open. It just goes straight to what appears to be the main panel, looking at 'untitled-ontology-[n]' which appears to be on www.semanticweb.org/...(?!).

The Essential standalone installation instructions (http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... tand-alone) tell me to configure Protege via 'File--> Preferences' and "Un-select the option 'Sort class tree (Classes Tab)'", but there is no such tab or option anywhere in Protege 4.3.0's preferences dialogue as far as I can tell.

If I try to open the project manually via 'File-->Open...' like the 'Getting started' guide tells me, it only appears to be interested in OWL files, not projects. There is no "Open other..." option anywhere that I can see. If I force it to open the Essential .pprj file, the OWL interpreter complains (correctly) that it's not a valid OWL (XML) file, nor is it validly any other type that it's trying to recognise (again, no mention of 'project' files).

Have I missed a step somewhere, or is there some setting I'm supposed to tweak? I can't see any mention of 'projects' anywhere in Protege.
jonathan.carter

Hi.

Protege 4 is a different product and is not supported by the Essential software. Please download and install Protege 3.5, apply the Essential software plugins to that installation. You should then be able to open the empty baseline repository or one of our sample repositories.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
whatteaux

Thanks Jonathan. I'd somehow assumed that '3.4.x' meant '3.4.x or later', never imagining that Protege would be so radically different in v4 compared with v3. D'oh!

So I've now installed Protege 3.5 (maybe the requirements should say '3.x only'?) and all seems well.
jonathan.carter

Good point, we'll update the download page.

I've tested with Protege 3.5 and all seems to be perform normally.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team