Deleting content when using a database

mjtapp

Hi,

When I delete information, say an Application Objective because it's not applicable, there seems to be left an empty reference left behind in the instance browser.

That is, the name and associated information disappears, but a reference is left that seems to be some kind of ID e.g. XXX_Class50001. When you click on it the form doesn't show so the data is obviously gone, but the reference is kind of ugly and confusing because they sit alongside the actual items of data that are still there.

I didn't notice this when I was working out of a flat file, but we are now working out of a database (SQL Server), so I'm assuming it has something to do with the way data is being deleted out of database. Do you know how I can resolve this?

Thanks

Michael
jonathan.carter

Hi Michael,

This is a 'feature' of Protege when it's working against a database and is all to do with how the repository is managed in the database. I've seen this myself and agree that it's not ideal. There was some discussion about this recently on the Protege mailing list, to which the Protege team, replied:
> There is a cache bug for deletions for the database backend. Tim is fixing
> it now.
>
> Fortunately, this is not a serious bug, just a cache problem. If you restart
> Protege, the <delete frames> will not show up anymore.
>
> Tania
Are you running Protege 3.4.4 (the latest version)? This posting was referring to Protege 3.4.2. The release notes for Protege 3.4.4 suggest that this caching problem has been resolved.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Essential Project Team