Essential Open Source - Principles Rationale

john.nordien

Hello
I have posted the item below in the forum for Open Source but duplicating it here.

I have been working with Essential AM Open Source v6.5. Recently I have been entering our Architecture Principles using Protege. For many of the principles, the rationale has either a bulleted list or paragraphs separating rationale items. The Essential AM project ontology does not handle this. Paragraph separations are stripped out and combined. Bulleted items are also combined as a paragraph.

Suggestion: Allow multi-item Rationales for Principles similar to how the Implications are handled.

Sincerely,

John Nordien
ITS Architect
Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries
jonathan.carter

Hi

Thanks very much for your post and for raising this.

You're right in that as the content moves between different components, some non-printing characters are removed.
Out of interest, have you tried using <br/> elements in the Principle Rationale slots to at least take a new line?
I know it's not ideal by any means but if you haven't already tried this, it might be a short-term fix.

Otherwise, we'll certainly add this to the set of improvements that are required.

In the meantime, if you are comfortable to do so, you could create an extension slot - e.g. "principle_rationale_list" that is of type String with multiple cardinality and use that slot instead of the current out-of-the-box slot. This will work in Essential Open Source and indeed Essential Cloud. It will require a tweak to the corresponding View(s) - again, best implemented as custom Views by making a copy of the out-of-the-box view and then making the change there - to render each String element from that slot in its own <p></p> block in the rendered View.

These steps are purely to ensure that you are not impacted by any future updates to the meta model and Views.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
john.nordien

OK. Thanks. I look forward to the improvements.
Um... If <br/> works then can other html tags such as <ul> & <li> work?
Cheers.
John Nordien.