Open Source

Urb

Hi,

I am working over a year with the open source edition, since i cannot use the cloud due to internal regulations of my company.
The product is really great and thanks for the awesome work, but I am missing some parts in the open source edition, which the cloud solutions offers. Also I think its time to build a more open source related community around this great product.

Here are my suggestions:
  • The open source edition needs a web-based editor ( like the cloud solution )
  • There should be some kind of marketplace to share custom created views ( xslt ) ( I know that I can fork the viewer on github )
  • REST based interfaces, to connect 3rd party system more easily
Best regards
JohnM

Hi,

The open source is limited by what we can do with Protege. You are correct, Essential Cloud and Essential Docker have a more elegant interface, much better security, SSO, user control, REST interfaces, etc that improve on Essential Open Source. Essential Docker will get around your restrictions in using a cloud product as you can host it on premise.

Regarding views, we're happy to share views in a centralised marketplace, for now it would be free, but for people who wanted to charge for views we are looking at how we could do that cost effectively.

Hope that helps

John
Urb

Hi

thanks for the answer. I am really curios about the Docker solution. Can you share some information please.

For the markteplace issue, I think there are a lot of example around ( i.e https://appsource.microsoft.com )

Best regards
Urb

Found the information about Docker, just missed the announcement.
I think the price is a bit high, since i have to host the platform by myself ( incl. server, backup, recovery, power, ...) but it goes into the right direction.

Best regards