Relating Capabilities to Product Features

SusanEvans

I am new to Essential Project and have begun reading through the Tutorials and Documentation.

As I am trying to get to understand the tool, I am wondering if there is a way to relate Capabilities to Product Features? I cannot see a direct way to do this. Is there? Or is there an "indirect" way to model this relationship?

Thank you!
jonathan.carter

Hi Susan,

Thanks for posting your query.

The relationship between a Product Feature and a Business Capability is indeed indirect. A Product Feature is related to a Product Type, which in turn can be connected to the Business Process that delivers the Product Type.

At this point, you have a choice. We can relate the Business Process to the Business Capability and thereby complete the desired connection between the Product Feature and the Business Capability. Or, we can relate the Product Type to the Product Concept that the Feature realises and then relate that Product Concept the Business Capability.

It is also quite reasonable to model both of the above and indeed, any View should ideally explore both of these 'routes' between Product Feature and Business Capability. Note, however, that modelling both routes is not a requirement and depends on the scope of your current requirements.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
SusanEvans

Thank you so much for replying; I will look into modeling this way.

Another question: Is there a way get a report or visualization of these relationships using the Library reports or Catalogues?

I am trying to see any type of report related to Products, Product Features, and relationships between Capabilities and Product Features.

How can I do this? Thanks!
SusanEvans

Thank you for your reply; I was thinking the relationship was indirect.

Therefore, I am wondering how that relationship is reported upon, or what type of visualization is availble so that I can see that relationship?

also, is there a report for Product Type to Product Feature relationships? I have not been able to find one. Thanks!
jonathan.carter

Hi

Thanks for posting back.
There are some views that provide a perspective on this.
For example, the 'Business Function / Service Model' provides a list of the Product Types that are delivered by the Enterprise.
In addition, the Business Service Interaction Model provides a graphical perspective on the inbound and outbound dependencies between Products

You can see screenshots of these by clicking on the 'spyglass' icon in the View Catalogue.

Do let us know what kinds of views you require - it's always helpful to know our community is trying to do and what they need.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team