ECP-7 Business Objectives for Actors

jonathan.carter

ECP-7 will deliver an update to the core metal model to enable Business Objectives to be related to the Actors to which they apply. This will enable the objectives of any Actor in the extended enterprise to be managed - from an individual to a company.

Indeed this update will enable any Objective instance to be related to the Actor to which it applies (Business, Information, Application and Technology Objectives).

At this stage in the Community Process, it is important to capture all the requirements for this extension. Please note any specific requirements for ECP-7 as replies to this topic.

Requirements:
  • Relate an Actor to the Objectives that capture the objectives of that Actor
  • Ability to view and understand hierarchy of Objectives
Essential Project Team
jason.powell

I think the ability for Actors to explicitly share objectives is also needed. Is there also a need to be able to classify objectives in a user-definable way (i.e. not just by domain) so that they can be managed if they get too numerous?

Jason
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Here is the proposed update for ECP-7.

This adds a new relationship on the Actor class that enables you to specify the objectives for that Actor. The objectives can be Business Objectives, Information Architecture Objectives, Application Architecture Objectives or Technology Objectives and you can define as many objectives for that Actor as you need. Objectives can be shared by Actors.

In anticipation of the potential for large numbers of Objectives, a Taxonomy extension has been added that enables the objectives to be classified, searched and identified by Taxonomy Terms. Note that the taxonomies should have no semantics other than to classify Instances in the model.

I've created a UML model of the relevant classes.

Finally, to test and demonstrate this, I've uploaded a sample ontology to explore.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Just a very short post to let you know that we have now released the Strategy Management Update pack, which includes the meta model updates required to support ECP-7.

Documentation about the pack and how to install it are available on The Essential Project website.

You can download the pack from the Share area.

If you have any questions or problems, please let us know via the forums.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team