Office 365 as Application and Technology Product

ellenab

Hello,

Looking at the public examples I have noticed that Office 365 is mapped as Application and also as Technology Product and wondering how to approach that. I have some challenges in mapping some of the applications as technology products and after seeing your example I'm not 100% sure if that's a good approach or just an example.

Could you please advise?

Best regards,
Elena B
xiaoqi

Hello Elena,

Just want to share my views on this for your reference.

Firstly, it's quite depending on the positioning of those Microsoft products in your enterprise architecture landscape.

In my opinion, we've used Application_Provider within Application_Logical layer for modeling the Business Applications in our company, while Microsoft Office is not so-called treated as real business application but more as employee productivity suite, so I think we should distinguish them from Business Application, then using classes within Technology layer is more making sense to me.

As attached picture, I suggest you choose "Technology_Product_Family" and "Technology_Product" under Technology_Logical layer to model this Office 365 which as one software family, using "member of" you can link the individual software with Office 365 family.

After you proper build this model, you may have your "View: Technology Reference Model" hopefully.

Good luck,
Xiaoqi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.