O3 (Objectives, Outcomes, Outputs) trend report

melbpar1

Hi, I would appreciate your views on the following:
All our business cases capture business objectives, outcomes and outputs to be delivered (O3).
Each business case (when approved) can result in the execution of one or multiple projects.
It is our team's (EA) responsibility to track the delivery of outcomes and outputs on a regular basis (say quarterly).
Is it possible to develop a trend report to show how outcomes and outputs for a business case are being met or not?
The first part of the problem is to ensure that we are using the correct slots in the metamodel. I was thinking of using programme to capture business case information and performance_measure to capture information related to outcomes and outputs. The link to objectives could be resolved through the relationship that already exist from strategic plans to programmes.
The second and most complex problem is how do we capture the progress updates on a regular basis and report on the trend?
Your views on this are most appreciated

Thanks
jonathan.carter

I think you are very much on the right lines.

We've been working with some organisations recently where we are tracking performance against goals and objectives.
Those performance measures use Business Service Quality Values - and that's also what we've been using to track the actual performance.

Using all of these, we've been able to produce some really nice dashboards in the Essential Viewer to provide an easy-to-consume perspective on all this.

During the course of that work, we've extended the meta model in places to support the specific requirements of what those organisations needed but some of these will be making their way into the next release of the Essential Meta Model.

We'd be happy to help you achieve something similar - what we've found is that things like dashboards tend to be rather personal to each organisation, where we need to put something together from the Viewer platform and toolkit.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
melbpar1

Hi Jonathan
Thanks for your response. The only part of my question that is still unresolved is how do I maintain historical data that I can use to generate the dashboards?
Am I expected to create a new Business Service Quality Value for each quarter (if that is the frequency of my reporting period)?

Thanks
jonathan.carter

Yes, that's what we've been doing.
It does mean that there are a lot of these Service Quality Values in the repository but it works well and from a meta model point of view is consistent in terms of using these both for what our objectives and targets might be and also for the actual values that we can report on.

A bit more detail about how we managed the connection between target values and actual values.

We created a new class to capture the measurement of actual performance against an objective. This pulls together the Business Objective, the Performance Indicator (defined using a Service Quality instance) the Actor for whom this performance is being measured and then the target value (defined as a Service Quality Value instance), the actual value (also a Service Quality Value instance). We also have slots to capture the timeframe for which this measure applies (a from and a to date). Finally, we added the concept of a threshold range for that measure so that we can drive the dashboard assessment of the performance.

In this way, we do end up with a lot of Service Quality Values but we have a context for working with each one.

Your posting is timely as we are readying the next release of the meta model and looking at which recent extensions should be included in the core meta model.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
melbpar1

Thanks for the useful insight. Hopefully the new class and slots will be included in the next release.