TM Forum Application Map Framework (TAM)

rungsima

Hello,

Have anybody applied Telecom Application Map(TAM) of TM Forum with Application Architecture?

I am rather confused about mapping four levels of TAM into three layers (conceptual, logical and physical) of Essential. Anyone who has any ideas please let me know.

Best Regards,
rungsima
neil.walsh

Hi Rungsima,

I'm not familiar with the Telecom Application Map you mention. Can you provide a link or website to help us better answer you question.

Thanks

Neil
rungsima

Hi Neil,

Here is TAM link ==> http://tmforum.org/ApplicationFramework/2322/Home.html
I'd like to recommend you to the TAM poster for big picture ==> http://tmforum.org/DocumentsApplication ... ticle.html

Thanks for your kind assistance.
Best Regards,
Rungsima
neil.walsh

I've attached a small snippet of the poster to aid discussion.
TAM_snippet.png
Firstly, I've not come across this before and at first glance, I'm unsure of what all the various colours and boxes mean in terms of relationships but I understand the general gist of the model.

That said, these look to me like Business Capabilities, many of which are for an IT/IS function or other service focused enterprise (though there are obviously some general Enterprise ones in there too)

In terms of layers, there are probably a number of ways in which to capture this but the obvious one is to use Business Capabilities for each of the layers.

As an example, Service Management (Business Capability) > Service Test Management (Business Capability) > Service Test Strategy & Policy Management (Business Capability) > Access the various service test devices (Business Process)

The lowest level in this TAM seems inconsistent in its terminology but as general guidance this approach seems to work.

It's an interesting model and do let us know if you capture this in Essential and what approach you chose. If the terms and conditions of the TAM allow, you might want to consider sharing the repository for others to view via our Community Share pages.

Hope this helps

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rungsima

Hi Neil,

TM Forum standard eTOM(Telecom Operation Map) is for business process framework but TAM is for application framework so I try to map eTOM with Business Architecture and TAM with Application Architecture into the conceptual and logical layer. Currently I focused on Fulfillment domain(green) in vertical which cross with Customer, Service and Resource domain in horizontal. I think that I will map TAM Level 1 as conceptual Application Capability, L2,L3 and L4 as logical Application Service and functionality as logical Application Function.
Ex:
AS::Service Activation Management
realizes AC:Service Order Management
provides application functions:
AF::Plan Service Activation,
AF::Service Configuration Activation
AF::Activation Notifications
This might be produced to "Application Diversity and Duplication Analysis for all Application Capabilities" in Essential Viewer as same as structure of TAM.
This is my case study it might be wrong. I welcome to share the repository when it comes to the success.

P.S. Is there anyone in telecom industry who use Essential and TM Forum Frameworx?

Thanks for your kind assistance.
Best Regards,
jonathan.carter

Hi

Do keep us posted as to how you get on.

Your approach sounds sensible and is line with our general approach to frameworks like this.
I think it may also be worth considering each element on its own merit - but as long as the Level 1, Level 2, ... are consistent within each level, your approach should work well.

We often find that with such frameworks some levels are abstraction changes (e.g. in Essential terms: Conceptual->Logical->Physical) while other levels represent detail / granularity changes, which seems to be in line with your approach.

Keep in touch with your progress

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
paulmcmahon

Hi,

I'm very interested in this too - did anyone get any further with this?

Paul