Technology Provider Usage in multiple Provider Architectures

John

Hi All,

Have a question around modelling Technology Providers through the use of Provider Architectures and specifically the Technology Provider Usage...

I'm curious to know what a standard/good process would be for modelling an Technology Provider Usage where say, Windows Server 2003, is used in build architectures to represent a significant number of Technology Builds. I find that when I create an instance of usage, and give it a Display Label of "Windows Server 2003" it becomes very difficult to identify which instance of the usage I actually need. Then when I'm am putting together the Technology Instances for that Usage I am fronted with a list of non-unique Technology Provider Usage instances.

A little dazed and confused, John
jonathan.carter

Hi John,

There are a couple of options here.
We recommend that when relating the Technology Provider Usage (the thing in the Technology Product Build) to the Technology Instances, that you create this relationship FROM the Technology Provider Usage TO the Technology Instance. A bit like you are 'installing' / 'deploying' the usage of that Provider!

The other alternative, if you need to come at this from the Technology Instance back "up" to the Technology Provider Usage, is that you can change how the usages appear in the lists, e.g. in a selection dialogue - either temporarily or permanently, if you like.

To do this, on the Instances tab in Protege, go to the Technology Product Usage class using the Class Browser. Next in the Instance Browser panel, you'll see a row of buttons at the top right. The right-most of these is an up-side-down triangle. Click this and choose the 'Set Display Slot' option and pick the 'name' slot from the list.

Now, whenever Protege displays a list of Technology Provider Usages, it will use the fully-qualified name of the instance (albeit a rather long name) that identifies which Usage you are considering. Note that this may make your Technology Build Architecture diagrams look a bit 'busy' with the very long names for the usages but you can set this back by returning the Display Slot to be 'technology_architecture_display_label'.

Hope this helps you find the right usage!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team