Is the Technology Roadmap a single all-encompassing roadmap?

jjlong150

I'm fairly new to Essential, and am self-taught. Today I set out to build a Technology Roadmap. I was successful at building a simple roadmap, but less successful as I added complexity.

My desire is to have multiple technology roadmaps aligned with the teams that support them. For example, I would like to have a roadmap for Database Management, and a roadmap for Java Middleware.

When I edit the name='Technology_Roadmap' instance of the class Report_Constant and associate two Roadmap_Model class instances in the "Associated Instances" slot, the Roadmap_Model data comes out merged in the Technology Roadmap report. The <h2> heading is a concatenation of the two names appearing as 'Database ManagementJava Middleware', and the milestones and roadmap entries are merged.

What I would really like is an <h2> section for Database Management followed by a roadmap, then an <h2> section for Java Middleware followed by a roadmap.

Is there a limit of one Technology Roadmap, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Jeff
neil.walsh

Hi Jeff,

In short, the current Roadmap model envisages a single enterprise technology roadmap for your organisation rather than multiple roadmaps for specific technologies. So, no you're not doing anything "wrong" but the Roadmap View only supports a single technology roadmap at the moment.

When we conceived this about 5 years ago, this was how many of our clients were modelling their technology estate and it was straightforward to implement.

However, here we are a few years and we've also noticed that people are wanted to model technology roadmaps in separate roadmaps to improve manageability.

We're working on a new roadmap solution which will be available later this year which allows users to model separate roadmaps but then display all these roadmaps on a single timeline. This extends beyond technology and looks at roadmaps as a whole so you will be able to evaluate technology roadmaps alongside business, information and application roadmaps.

We're currently pushing forward on some other major items due in the next month or two which are consuming all our development resources at the moment but hopefully we'll have something like this for late Q3 ish. It's fairly high on our list but not top right now. Requests like these though help bump things up the list.

Thanks

Neil