Duplication of capability in the viewer

jkazmi

Hi

I am finding out that my parent capability also shows up as a child capability in the viewer. In the view for my parent capability, the "Supporting Capabilities and Processes" section repeats the parent capability.

Why would this happen?
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Do you mean that in the table column 'Business Capability' you are seeing the selected Business Capability instance. e.g. On the summary of "My Capability 1", you see "My Capability 1" in a row of the "Supporting Capabilities and Processes" table?

This is because we want to show which Business Processes are providing the capability, so for those that directly provide e.g. "My Capability 1" we render those in that row. However, the View also finds all the sub-capabilities of the selected capability and adds a row for each of those, along with each of the Business Processes that provide those capabilities.

Therefore, we need to have a row for the capability itself so that we can see the directly related processes and the indirectly supporting processes

If you are seeing multiple rows for the selected capability, it may be that you've got a circular reference in the definition of the capability itself - either directly in the "Contained Business Capabilities" slot or via another sub-capability.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jkazmi

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to show the parent capability always in the first row of the table?

Users are finding it quite confusing. It would be helpful to visually set up the parent capability differently from the child capabilities.

Thanks
jonathan.carter

jkazmi wrote:Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to show the parent capability always in the first row of the table?

Users are finding it quite confusing. It would be helpful to visually set up the parent capability differently from the child capabilities.

Thanks
Hi,

That sort of thing is definitely possible. However, the view template will need to be updated to do so. Make a backup copy of the view XSL template and then modify the XSL to layout out your capabilities as required.

Alternatively, we can do this sort of change through our View Development Services

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
colinfrewen

I would also suggest that you build up a set of adminsistration reports which would help with circular references and or identifying parent child relationships. As this is a data driven tool it is advisable to test the data through some error checking reports rather than relying on the models.

Regards

jonathan.carter wrote:
jkazmi wrote:Hi Jonathan,

Thanks
Hi,

That sort of thing is definitely possible. However, the view template will need to be updated to do so. Make a backup copy of the view XSL template and then modify the XSL to layout out your capabilities as required.

Alternatively, we can do this sort of change through our View Development Services

Jonathan
jonathan.carter

Good points. Thanks Colin

Jonathan
Essential Project Team