Finding Protege and Java

Hay

I am in the process of trying to install the Essential Architecture Manager. At the point where it tries to identify the location of Protege, I browse and give it the directory of the folder where the software is held (which in my case is: C:\A Programs\Protege 4.0).

For my troubles, I get the message, "The file or directory you have chosen either does not exist or is not appropriate."

That is the directory containing the program Protege.exe.

I get a similar reaction when I try to tell it where to find the Java Applicatin Server (Tomcat).

???

What am I missing?

Thanks,

David Hay
[email protected]
sarah.smith

Hi David,

Currently Essential Architecture Manager does not support Protege 4.x., and this may be the cause of your problems. You should download the latest version of Protege 3, which is linked to from the downloads page of our website.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem, but if you have any other difficulties, please come back to us.

Regards

Sarah
The Essential Project Team
Hay

Thanks. That did the trick. And I had not downloaded Tomcat, so that explained that problem.

Now I am trying to start it up. The problem is that the download gave me the file essentialinstall.jar, with no other files. The install seemed to work ok, but I didn't get any sort of "Essential" directory or software.

On top of that, on the web page instructions,it claims that I should have gotten a zip file, with, among other things a lot of "widgets".

No such file. Not by pushing the "Download" button on the title page.

I have not been able to find instructions for starting the program. Is that folded inside protege? I'm looking forward to finding some good e/r modeling tools somewhere in there.

Thanks,

Dave Hay
jonathan.carter

Hi David,

Great to hear that you got the install to work.
The only "Essential" folder that you should expect to see is the folder in which the empty, baseline repository is installed. The main components of Essential Architecture Manager are the widgets - which are plugins for Protege - and Essential Viewer, which is a web application that is installed in Tomcat.

The installer program takes care of all this for you, which is why it asks you to select the Protege and Tomcat locations.

To start using Essential, start Protege and then open the 'essential_baseline_v1.pprj' Protege project file that you will have installed at step 9 of the stand-alone installation.

For more information about getting started, have a look at the first of the Getting Started Tutorials. For some examples, download a sample repository and open that Protege project.

Just a final note, in response to one of your last comments. You mention 'e/r modelling tools'. I thought it would be useful to point out that the baseline Essential Meta Model does not provide data entity relationship modelling. Rather we delegate detailed data entity relationship modelling to dedicated data modelling tools and by the way, take a similar approach to software (UML modelling is not provided). However, Information Architecture is supported in the meta model which provides the constructs to capture the main relationships in particular as information is used by processes and applications.

Hope this helps - and let me know how you get on

Jonathan
Essential Project Team