Help - project not shown in "Select Project" server list

karlg

I am in the process of working on getting Essential up for the fist time.

The install as been straight forward up to the point where I go to log in with Protege and I see the two example collaborative projects (I wanted to leave them for reference) but I don't see my essential project listed.

What would cause the project not to be listed, but others are?

Also the instructions didn't indicate how the make the annotations files. Some hints would be helpful.

Thank you so much in advance!
Karl
jonathan.carter

Hi Karl,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

First, I just want to make sure I understand where you are in the setup process. It sounds like you are installing in multi-user mode and have got as far as running the Protege server but when you try to connect to the server and open a project, that's where you're not seeing the Essential Project. Am I right?

I've done some testing and I think the problems lies with the setup of the metaproject. I suspect that the path to the essential project file is not correct.
  • Open the metaproject as described in the multi user install guide in section 8.
  • Open the Policy Controlled Object class and then select Project
  • Select Essential AM Repository (or whatever name you have given the project)
  • In the Location field, make sure that this shows the FULL path to where you have saved the essential_project_baseline_v1.1.pprj. Note that in the install guide, the screenshot is an example where this project is located in a folder off the root of the filesystem, called '/EssentialAM Repository/essential_project_baseline_v1.1.pprj'. If this path is not correct, then the project will not show up in the list of available projects on the server. On Windows, this will be something like 'C:/EssentialAM Repository/essential_project_baseline_v1.1.pprj' and it is really important to note the Unix-style directory slashes, even on Windows, as this is a Java system. If you use the '\' Windows slashes, then the file will not be found (this could be the problem)
We can actually ignore the Annotations file for now. The annotations are used to manage the change history but we can switch this on once we've got the server working properly. So, skip that part for now.

I realise that the multi-user install guide needs to be updated to reflect more accurately how this is done in the latest version of Protege. I will sort this out as soon as I can and update the screenshots.

To answer your question about the Annotations, these are created automatically by Protege when you turn on the Collaboration panel. This is done from the Collaboration menu and selecting "Show Collaboration Panel". Protege will then ask how you wish to store the change history (the annotations repository). This has been significantly improved with the latest version of Protege - allowing us to use a database to store the annotations - but is now a little more complex than our documentation. Again, we'll update the documentation to reflect our recommended approach. For now, let's skip the annotations.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Just to explain some background to the current installation process, we don't currently ship things like the metaproject or the annotations so as not to confuse or break existing Protege installations that some users have. However, we realise that this could be made easier and we're working on improving the installation process, which would include automating more of this setup.

Hope this helps - do let me know

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
karlg

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply!

Well I figured out what I was doing wrong. Your reply helped me understand things better.

My first problem was I wanted to rename the "essential_baseline"... to a different file name. I just renamed the files to "myarch"... thinking this would work. I would see the server load ess... but not myarch... / this also had problems loading - so I gave up renaming.

I then tried a "save as" of ess... to mysarch... and I was able to open the project without issue. But when I tried loading the project on the server, I would see it load correctly and see it in the server control panel, but it would not be displayed as an available project to open on the server.

I then configured ess... to be a project on the server and it loaded and opened without issue.

I then went back to my renaming and edited the .pprj to reflect the changed file names for the .pins and .pont files. Finally - SUCCESS!!! Now everything loaded properly.

Thank you for your assistance in helping me get this far.

Thank you also for the info on the annotations project - this also make things clear.

What I don't understand is if I am going to run my essential project on MySQL, when to I create the annotations project. Do I do this after I have converted my essential project to MySQL or before?

Please let me know - THANKS!

Karl
jonathan.carter

Hi Karl,

Great to hear that you've got everything running now.

You can set up the collaboration panel (which tracks all changes etc. to the repository) either before or after you setup your repository to run in the database such as MySQL.

I would recommend that if you do want to use the Collaboration Panel that you do use a database (such as MySQL) to manage the changes. This capability has only just been introduced into the latest version of Protege and is very important as the annotations files can get very large and cause the server memory problems. Using a database makes all this easier.

When you switch on the Collaboration Panel, select the option:
Create ChAO stored in a database
You'll then be prompted for the database details. Make sure to give the ChAO a new table name - don't use the essential repository table.
Protege will create the table and set it up and all the collaboration panel, which you then drag in from the right of the Protege window.

As I said, you can do this with your Essential Repository still running from the file-based project and then migrate the project to the database OR you can do this once you've got the Essential Repository running in the database.

Hope this helps. I am going to revise the documentation for this (as with the meta project) as the latest version of Protege 3.4.1 has changed (for the better) compared to our current documentation.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team