Can I open an older project with version 3?

Antoaneta

Hi,

Essential Project Manager version 3 was just released.
I understand that the upgrade pack hasn't been released yet.

Can I uninstall my older version of Essential Project and install version 3 and open my project in the new version?
So I don't have to wait for the upgrade pack...

Is there a project conversion (.pprj, .pins and .pont file conversion) involved in the upgrade process or it is as simple as opening the existing project with the new version and it is going to work?

Please, let me know.

Thank you

Antoaneta
jonathan.carter

You can open your older repositories in the latest Protege and with the latest Essential 3 widgets.

However, if you publish your repository to the new Essential Viewer 3, the Viewer will not work correctly, as it depends on a number of new elements in the meta model.

We will shortly be releasing an Essential Update Pack to run in the new Update Tab and this will apply all the required changes to your old Essential repository project. This converts your old .PPRJ, .PINS and PONT files or .PPRJ and database if you are using the database back end.

Once the update has been applied, your repository will work with the new Essential Viewer and the out-of-the-box Views.

We will make an announcement as soon as the update pack is ready.

In the meantime in summary, your old Essential Project:

- Can be edited using the latest version of Protege and using the latest Essential Project plugins.
- Can be published to an old version of Essential Viewer.
- Will NOT work when published to the new Essential Viewer 3 until the update pack has been run.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Just a quick note to follow up on this post.

We're really pleased to announce that the version 3 upgrade pack has now been released. This will upgrade all existing Essential repositories built using Essential Meta Model 1.x

For more information, please see this article.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team