Multi user server migration to Oracle 10g problem

rcortez

I had to guess on the privileges required for the db; create any indextype, create any table.
The process created a single table, EAREPOSITORY, several contraints, indexes, but errors with;

Errors found performing operation.

1. Errors at copying knowledgebase jdbc:oracle:thin:@us-vm-18:1521:essarc01
Exception class java.sql.BatchUpdateException. Message: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("ESSPRJ"."EAREPOSITORY"."FACET")

See console and log for more details.

The FACET field has a NOT NULL constraint.

Thanks for the help.
jonathan.carter

You are correct in that the user you created needs full access to create things in the database.

Sounds like the database and indexes have been created correctly but that for some reason a constraint is being violated when the knowledge base is being written into the database.

I'll try to find out whether anyone else has experienced this issue with Protege using Oracle 10g as the backend and what the solution is.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

I've just found this problem described on a Protege discussion from 2007 - using Protege 3.2.1 and Oracle 10g.
It appears to be something to do with a limit to the number of characters that can be used in a VARCHAR.
>> This may be due to the issue "Oracle has the infamous problem of not
>> being able to store more
>> than 4000 characters in a VARCHAR2 text field", mentioned at
>> http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4361. I'm not sure how that
>> applies, because the string
>> ends up being stored as a LONG data type -- not as a VARCHAR2. Perhaps
>> it has to do with some
>> intermediate conversion that involves a VARCHAR2.
>>
I'll take this up with the Protege team. Can you confirm which version of Protege you are using (Protege 3.4?)

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
rcortez

I'm using Protege 3.4.

I've also decided Oracle is overkill for this tool and setup EP with MySQL. Everything is running on a single virtual host. It took a few minutes to learn how to create the db and user, but the Protoge site was a good source. My guess is that the load on the db engine will be small and the repository size will small. So no need for a mac truck to move a gallon of paint.

Thanks

RC
jonathan.carter

Thanks for letting us know - and for confirming that you are using Protege 3.4. The database storage components have been completely re-written between version 3.3.1 and 3.4 and have resolved an issue with MS SQLServer 2005. However, I will pursue the Oracle 10g issue.

You're right, though, we've found that MySQL is certainly capable of handling large repositories very well.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team