Formatting issue with Application Diversity Analysis view

ben.ralph.nmc

Hi

I think there's an issue with the Application Diversity Analysis view (core_al_app_diversity_analysis.xsl). The data doesn't appear to populate the correct columns, see attached IT Governance Management screenshot.

In addition, when I only have application services mapped to application capabilities, without the associated implementing applications, it will correctly display the application capability and generate the correct number of rows for the mapped services but the services are not populated in the table. See attached Human Capital Management screenshot, which has 10 services mapped to the capability.

Regards
Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnM

Thanks for raising, it looks like a library upgrade has caused the issue. Can you try this version.
core_al_app_diversity_analysis.xsl.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ben.ralph.nmc

Hi John

Unfortunately, the new view didn't work, no data is being displayed in the view. Let me know if you need anything further to help diagnose the issue.

Ben
JohnM

Sorry about this. Can you check if the application mart API is switched on. Look under Data_Set_API and see if Core API: Application Mart is there (and switched on)

if it is, then it may be that the file has been updated since the last OS release. In which case can you upload the attached api and republish.
core_api_application_mart.xsl.zip
Can you check if there are any errors in the console
ben.ralph.nmc

That didn't work either. Core API: Application Mart is there and switched on, see screenshot. I uploaded the api and republished. I don't see any errors in the console.

Let me know if I can try anything else.
ben.ralph.nmc

Interestingly with the online demo site, some capabilities are displayed correctly and some aren't...

displays correctly - https://essentialviewer.com/demo/report ... alysis.xsl

doesn't display correctly - https://essentialviewer.com/demo/report ... alysis.xsl
JohnM

Can you run this checker please and provide a screenshot
ben.ralph.nmc

Screenshot as requested.
JohnM

Thanks, that helps. I'll come back to you
JohnM

We can see there are multiple services tied to the cap. There is only one application linked to a service mapped. That is confusing us a little. Can you check if that one has a plan tied to it? Just click the active button in the roadmap enablement to switch it to inactive. Does anything change?

Attached is a different version which should show the services. Can you try this? Sorry, we can't fully replicate on our side yet, so a bit tricky
core_al_app_diversity_analysis2.xsl.zip
ben.ralph.nmc

Ok we are making some progress :-)

Conclusion from my testing is that the services will only be visible and correctly formatted once an application has been mapped to ALL services. Here's the testing I did…

I'm not using any plans. Clicking the roadmap to switch to inactive didn't make a difference, the capabilities and services are not displayed.

The core_al_app_diversity_analysis2 view is correctly displaying the list of services however, the last 3 columns are not being displayed, see screenshot.
core_al_app_diversity_analysis2.png

I may have also spotted something with the structure of my data that may have an impact on how the data being displayed. Only the 'Enterprise Architecture Management' service has an application mapped to it. To test this I mapped the other 6 services to the same application and republished. The original view now displays all the columns correctly, see second screenshot. core_al_app_diversity_analysis2 view still only lists capabilities and services as per the first screenshot.
core_al_app_diversity_analysis.png

As this page is used to display one application capability at a time could I suggest the following changes:
* Display services regardless of application mappings. I'm working on a greenfield project and the application will only be known once we have completed the RFP process which could take 12 months.
* Remove the application capability column and display the description below the view header. This column appears to be taking up unnecessary real-estate on the view.
* Add the service description below the service name, like the current capability column.
* Where the application capability is name is displayed at the top of the view, replace this with a drop-down to switch between different capabilities. Some other views have a similar feature.

It would be nice to see the formatting issue addressed (first bullet) if the other requests need to be added to a backlog.
JohnM

Sorry for the delay, we're discussing this view, which is quite old, and are thinking it may be quicker to rewrite it. Give us a few days to look into it.

We'll take your requirements, throw more in if you like and we'll see if we can include them
ben.ralph.nmc

Brilliant, I'm looking forward to the new view.

If it helps with the design, I'm using the view with stakeholders as a discussion point to make sure we have captured all the application capabilities, services and functions they require for a greenfield hospital. We start by reviewing the value streams and business process hierarchy views to make sure they are relevant for the new hospital. This then drives the conversation for application capabilities, services and functions, which highlights any gaps in our current applications. The output is used as the input for the RFP technical requirements.

I think I've covered all my requests in my previous post and I'm not sure if this is the correct view to also include functions. It would be good to get your thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time to listen!
JohnM

Thanks for this, all helps. Any further ideas then just let us know
JohnM

First cut, we've not brought in the value streams yet, very, very draft for now but should let you progress, any bugs then let us know.

Taken on board most of your suggestions, we've used a slide in/out cap model rather than a select drop down - click an application or service count to get the capability breakdown. In the capability breakdown, if you click a tech product role, it will highlight where else the technology component is used in the capability.

Any thoughts/ideas welcome.
core_al_app_diversity_analysis_new.xsl.zip
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 14.50.29.png
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 14.50.49.png