Manual installation doc refers to non available file

Jil Larner

Hi,

It seems I can’t use the install jar without a graphical environment. As I’m installing on a linux server, and a Glassfish not a Tomcat, I found the manual installation procedure.

http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... tall-guide

It says I should download essential_architecture_manager.zip, but I can’t find it anywhere.

I unjared the jar, but it provided only some .pack file I can’t sort out.

Is the zip distrbution anywhere? It’s no luck the http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/downloads_area/ directory listing is denied.

Thank you for your help,
Jil.
jonathan.carter

Hi Jill.

You can run the installer on the command line, in console mode, either directly on the server or via an SSH session to the server.

To invoke the installer use the following command:

Code: Select all

java -jar essentialinstall.jar -console
The installer steps will be the same as the graphical installer except that instead of pushing GUI buttons, the installer will give you key press options, e.g. "Press enter to continue, X to exit". Although the screenshots won't match, the installer instructions are the same as in the install guide.

I'm not that familiar with how Java Web Applications are deployed to the Glassfish server but the latest version of the installer makes no assumptions about which server you are using. When you are asked for a location in your Java Application Server, select the path to the folder where Glassfish picks up WAR files for deployment. Note that the Essential Viewer expects the WAR to be unpacked into a folder structure so that the repository XML snapshot can be saved and new Views dropped into the Viewer environment.

Let me know how you get on with Glassfish for both installing the initial WAR and then the on-going updates.

Last thing to note about the installer is that it provides you with the option of creating an automated installer based on the manual install that you've just done, e.g. if you need to install it with the same configuration to more than one server. And finally, note that you need to run the installer the on each client to install the Essential Widgets on workstations that will be used by modellers (but not users of the Viewer). This is all covered in the install guides.

Keep us posted with how you get on

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Jil Larner

Hi,

To deploy the war in Glassfish, take the war from the ${TOMCAT_HOME} folder the installer created and move it to ${GLASSFISH_DOMAIN}/autodeploy/

Then, when you browse the URL, it deploys the war.

The same thing for updates.

++
jonathan.carter

Thanks Jil

:)
Essential Project Team