Essential Install Issues

tbarnette

I am an EA and we are evaluating tools. We are currently evaluating IBM System Architect and Troux. I thought I would build a vm appliance running Essential to throw into the evaluation ring, but I've had a few issues. The VM is 32 bit Ubuntu 11.04.

I've installed all of the pre-requisites including protege. I've installed protege several times trying different configurations. Finally, I installed it as me (not root) and it installed it in my home directory as opposed to /usr/bin or usr/local. I'm not sure this will make a difference. It is protege 4.1 rc5. I've also tried 3.4.7 and 4.0.2.

The real problem comes in installing the Essential project. The documentation refers to a zip file that can be unzipped and moved to the protege directory and tomcat directory. It is now installed as a JAR self-installer, though. When I execute this it wont auto-detect protege and when I point it at the protege directory, I get the message "The file or directory you have chosen either does not exist or is not appropriate." I've pointed it at the install directory and the plugins directory (because I'm assuming it wants to install widgets there). I've tried with my user account and as root.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to check this tool out.
tbarnette

I read some other posts in the forum and realized that Essential really is dependent on an earlier version of protege. I had 3.4 issues with installation, but was able to get 3.3.1 installed and then Essential loaded without a problem.
jonathan.carter

The problem with the installation of the Essential components is that we do not support Protege 4 for a number of reasons - and in this case, most importantly because it lacks a multi-user mode.

We are working with the Protege team to establish the cause of an issue identified with version 3.4.6, which may also be present in version 3.4.7.

For simplicity for your scenario, I'd recommend using Protege 3.4.4, which you can download here.

I'm not sure what the differences in the choice of installation directory on Ubuntu will be. However, I know that Ubuntu is one of the platforms that the Protege Team use themselves, so could be worth taking some guidance from them as to the best location for it. However, to install the Essential Widgets and other 3rd party plugins, you will need to be able to write to the plugins folder of Protege.

Our install guides describe the use of the installer, which does attempt to verify that you are installing the Essential plugins to a valid location. However, to aid with trouble shooting, we've kept the old guides for manually installing from ZIP files available on the website.

So in summary, download and install version 3.4.4 of Protege for Ubuntu and then our installer should be able to validate the home directory of that Protege installation and complete successfully.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team