Applied the new data pack - small issue.

EAJoe

Jonathan,

Thanks for this release.

I applied it (not my sysadmin). The new capabilities show up when I fire up protege on the server machine, when I use protege on a remote machine, it is not displayed in "current updates" and the new function is not there. I suspect this may have something to do with multi vs single user mode perhaps?
jonathan.carter

Hi,

This is a strange sounding one.

Let me make sure I understand what's going on.

You have applied the pack to your repository running on the server by opening the repository Protege project with a Protege client running on the server and all seemed to be applied correctly?
Then, having closed this, you connect to the server from a remote client and none of the changes are available?

When you say "current updates" is it the Applied_Updates instances in the About_Essential that you are describing?

In my first question, I'm thinking that you have run an instance of Protege in stand-alone mode on the server while the Protege server is still running. In which case, although the changes will have been applied in the standalone client, when you close it, it's possible (likely?) that as the server is still running does not see these changes and effectively saves the repository back to what it knows with no updates applied.

Are you using a database as the 'backend' for the repository on the server?

Apologies for asking more questions than you've asked!

In case it's not clear in our documentation, you can perform meta model updates like this from remote clients but I would recommend that you ensure that no other users are accessing or updating the repository while you perform the update, otherwise things can get in a real mess.
To make sure of this, I think the best way to apply such updates is actually to:
  • stop the server
  • open the repository in stand-alone mode on your server host
  • apply the update
  • save the repository project (note that forms layouts etc. are NOT stored in the database)
  • close the stand-alone Protege client and then restart the Protege server, which will pickup the updated forms from the project file and the updated meta model and any instances from the database.
I'll check our documentation on this as we may not have made this clear.

I've made some big assumptions about what the answers to the questions that I've asked will be but at the moment, it seems like we've got a situation where the update is being applied but is not being 'saved' (as it were) so that when you connect with a remote client you're not seeing the applied update.

Let me know
Essential Project Team
EAJoe

Sorry Jonathon,

User error, I took over admin and their are a bunch of versions on the server.

I am not sure I am fully patched, which I would like to be, I'm not seeing an explicit reference to version 1.3.3? My machine looks like this:

Updates
- EA Relation External Repository Slots
- External Reference Links Update
- Information and Data - core meta model update
- Information Attribute Relations
- Strategy Management Pack

Metamodel version
- Essential Architecture Manager v1.2

Thanks.
jonathan.carter

That looks correct but make sure to apply the Essential Viewer Patch Update (which isn't tracked by the meta model updates as it's not about the meta model).

Things like the Strategy Management Pack and the Information and Data pack are optional extensions to the core meta model, currently, so the meta model version is not updated when you apply these packs.
Apologies if this is a bit confusing - this is something that we're looking at in terms of making updates clearer.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Regards

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
EAJoe

I am still not fully confident in my environment. I am trying to use the Python/Jython shell tab, I do not seem to have the file "Documents/standardFunctions.txt"? Should this be part of the standard install?

I have the standard Protege functions available to me in the shell but not the Essential extensions.

Thanks.
EAJoe

Sorry disregard previous, I didn't realize the integration tab was not part of the standard distro.

Thanks.