Script Error Installing Baseline Meta Model Patch 1

MichaelDunn

I have a new installation of Essential running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit, with the following software versions:

Protege 3.4.6 (Build 613)
Java VM 6.0.250.6
Apache Tomcat/6.0.32

I have already installed the ECP-5 Business Skills Pack successfully, however, when installing Error Installating Baseline Meta Model Patch 1 patch in the Protege script window, I get the following (running as a python script)

Welcome to the Protégé shell
>>> execfile("/D:/patches/tech_app_bus_patch1.txt")

Traceback (innermost last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "/D:/patches/tech_app_bus_patch1.txt", line 185, in ?
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setDocumentation'
exception from Jython: Traceback (innermost last):
: Traceback (innermost last):

Any help resolving this issue would be much appreciated. I am evaluating this software for use in my organisation.

Regards

Mike
jonathan.carter

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post.
It looks from your software versions, that you have only recently installed Essential Architecture Manager and that the patch that you've found is not required for the version of the meta model that you have.

You can check the version that you have in Essential Viewer on the Help and Documentation link at the bottom of the page.
I would expect that you are using version 1.3.2

Assuming that you are on version 1.3.2, then the error is because this patch to the meta model is not required and what it is trying to do is not valid on this version. I will update the documentation for the Meta Model Patch 1 to make this clear.

If however, you find that you are running an earlier version of Essential Architecture Manager, please let me know.

Generally, any patch that is required to the core product are posted on the Downloads page. Optional components and patches to those optional features are normally posted to the Community->Share area.

Let me know what version you are running

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
MichaelDunn

Hi Johnathon,

Thanks for the reply, I installed from the latest on your wesbite last week. So think it would have been at least 1.3.2.

I downloaded everything from http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... extensions

But I'm not sure which extensions I now need. I installed ECP-5 Business Skills Pack successfully but not sure if I need the others, for example Strategy Mngment Pack.

Regards

Mike
jonathan.carter

Hi Mike,

If you are running version 1.3.2, then you do not need that patch update.

All these meta model extensions are optional.
If you capturing and defining Roadmaps and Strategies, then I would suggest that you apply the Strategy Management Pack. Also, if you are working with Information and Data, then apply the Strategy Management Pack.

As a bit of background to our approach, the governance of the Essential Meta Model includes reviewing these extensions and where it makes sense, some extensions are incorporated into the core meta model. Also, these packs enable people who have an Essential repository that was started with, e.g. version 1.3.2, to upgrade their repository to match new versions of the core meta model.

There are some complexities to this but we try to keep it as simple as possible for everyone. We're keen to improve this, so it's helpful for us to understand where things may be confusing.

The only patch that I would suggest that you should apply, regardless of what areas of the architecture you are working with, is the Essential Viewer Patch Update 1. This should be applied after the Strategy Management Pack (if you plan to use that) and we recommend that you apply it before applying the Information and Data Pack.

Hope this helps to clarify things

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
MichaelDunn

Thanks for the clarification this has helped greatly.

Regards

Mike