Multi User Protege

eastocks

I have been asked how many multi users can Protege handle?
The thinking behind this that the BAs as well as EAs would use the system.So potentially at least 10 people.
So if there were many users how would this effect the handling of retrieving and returning entities/artifacts to the depository database?
thanks in anticipation
jonathan.carter

As far as we know there are no limitations on the number of concurrent users that Protege can support.

Each of the users uses their own local installation of the Protege client which takes the load in terms of all the user interface and rendering requirements. The server manages the repository and the latest versions of Protege have greatly improved the efficiency of the interaction between client and server and how large numbers of instances are retrieved and rendered.

You should be fine supporting the numbers that you have in mind as each concurrent interaction is actually going to be quite light weight. Keep an eye on the memory requirements of the server, though, as it may perform more caching. Also, I would recommend that you make sure to use a database backend for the Essential repository on the Protege server. This greatly improves the performance and responsiveness of the server.

Interestingly, the Protege team do not describe any limitations on the number of concurrent users in their documentation.

As I said, the numbers of users that you describe do not sound like they would be a problem. We have experience of running Protege with around half this number performing simultaneous requests (a bit beyond normal concurrent users) all on a small notebook computer and all ran fine.

Keep an eye on the memory usage on the server and keep me posted if you hit any problems. 10 or so concurrent users should be easily handled by Protege.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
eastocks

Thanks for that Jonathan