Scheduled import

m59sapi

Hi,

Can anyone share detailed instructions on how one can import data without going thru the import utility or the Protege tab? At a certain time of the day, we like to run a script or using the REST interface of the import util without human intervention.
neil.walsh

Hi,

Here's a document which may help with using the REST API for the Essential Import Utility.
interface specification.zip
Cheers

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m59sapi

Hi,
Thank you for posting the document. I tried the serviceRequest.html outlined in the document with the following parameters:

Change the Import Activity to:
MF Activity
Change the target env to:
Example Local Live
Change the Callback to
http://localhost:9080/essential_import_ ... 2/callBack
Select the source content to be the following file:
MF_Import_003.xlsx

But still get the following error on the log
Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service

Not sure what I have done wrong, I can use the Import Utility to import the spreadsheet into the above Example Local Live without problem.

Another issue which not sure if it is related, I cannot use the import utility to import into the Example Test Environment, not sure since when or why, though it shows import successful, but when try to publish to viewer in the test environment, I always get the java null pointer exception error.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Thanks for posting about this.

The two issues that you describe are related. Both concern publishing to your specified Viewer environment.

To confirm whether the Import Service is actually performing the import successfully, you can set the “Publish after import?” option to “No”. In this case the service will perform the import on the specified target environment but will NOT attempt to publish the resulting repository to the Viewer environment that has been associated with that target environment.

To resolve this - and get the Import Service to run the full process - I think the first step is to validate that your Target Environment is configured correctly and can access your Viewer (which is presumably running and accessible via a browser).

Note that the Target Environment setting on the Import Service request form is simply the name of one of your Target Environments defined on the Import Settings panel of the Import Utility. Log into the normal, web-based user interface for the Import Utility, select the Import Settings tab and you’ll see the set of Target Environments that are defined. To the right of this list you’ll see the “Essential Viewer Path” setting for each. This is the URL that the Import Utility will use to publish the repository to Viewer. By default this is set to “http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer”.

As your publish is not working, select “Example Local Live” and then push the “Edit…” button. This will bring up a dialog on which you can see the URL and any login parameters that might be required if your Viewer has been secured. (see screenshot).
Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 12.29.04.png
Try the “Test Connection” button here in the Essential Viewer Details section to confirm that the Import Utility can cannot to Viewer. I’m going to take a guess here that this will fail, in which case, edit the “Essential Viewer URL” to match that home page of your Viewer. Copy the hostname, port and application name (e.g. “essential_viewer”) from your browser when you are browsing the homepage of your target Viewer (make sure to remove any request parameters etc. so the URL follows the pattern: http://<Server>:<port>/<essential viewer application name>.

Once you have the “Test Connection” working, then the Import Utility should be able to publish to your target Viewer from either the Import Utility GUI or from the Import Service.

Let us know how you get on

Regards

Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential Project Team