Publishing stops

tla

Good morning!

I'm using Essential 5.06 on a Mac and at first everything worked finde. But suddenly when I tried to publish the changed sample data to viewer the publishing process stopped at Step 1 with 69% without any error message. It just stopped.
Even downloading a new version of the sample data didn't solve the problem.

The publishing for my own file worked fine for at least another day. Now this stops also, but at Step 2 (of 3) at 100%.

For sure I restarted Protege as well as the whole Mac.

Do you have an idea what causes this behavior and maybe where I can look for some logs?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Thomas
JohnM

Hi Thomas,

This is usually caused by a memory issue. Have you checked the blog Neil wrote?

http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... essential/

If that doesn't help then please post again.

John
colinfrewen

Hi Thomas,

Something I have had to work through and there are a few causes:

1) Memory - Java Heap Size setting in protoge. Should be at least a 1gb, I allocate 4. Read Neils post on this.
2) Created duplicate slots or instances. If you have duplicate instance data across multiple slots used in a single class Protege has a bad time. Normally you would see a java garbage collection error in your log. If you see a "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded" we have normally found data duplicates. Most common being in the business / application capability or across the the information and data objects.
3) Old Java jre / jdk haunting the system.
4) Write issues in the webapps folder. I normally give full user access to Tomcat folder.
5) A massive report.xml. Ours is over 110 mb. Once again needs a serious chunk of memory.

I'm sure there is something I have forgotten:)

Colin
jonathan.carter

Just to follow up on these good suggestions, we normally have 2GB memory allocated for Protege, 2GB for Tomcat that is running Essential Viewer and 2GB memory allocated for the Tomcat that is running the Essential Import Utility.

This way, each of these has its own Java Virtual Machine and any 'heavy processing' e.g. in the Import Utility won't affect the performance of the Viewer

Jonathan
Essential Project Team