Import Utility Question

jcwillard

I am trying to utilize the import utility to take in a list of individuals in the organization. Taking the example spreadsheet, I added a new worksheet called "actors", with several columns representing name, email, skill, etc. On the import settings tab I defined the target environment "Example Local Live" and uploaded a.zip file containing the .pprj file that contains my local repository. In addition I gave the URL to the local instance of the essential viewer. This connection is validated by the test connection button.

My next step is to go to the "Manage Imports" tab and choose the "Example Import Activity". I selected the worksheet that contains my new data and then click on "Edit Import Specification" at the bottom of this screen I can see the spreadsheet with my list of actors I can add it to the list of import specification in the left-hand column. However when I add a simple instance under the worksheet, which should hold the name of the actor, on the right-hand side, the "Essential Class Name" is empty. I cannot discover what populates this list? It should hold the names of the Essential classes so that I can map my worksheet to the appropriate class.

I also checked in the Tomcat filesystem and the repository cache is populated with the protégé files. What else might I do to get this import specification working properly.

Thank you as always for your assistance.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Can I just confirm what you mean when you say that the "Essential Class Name" is empty? I'm guessing that when you click on the drop-down the field appears empty.

This can be a very long list - over 500 options - so, what we've done is make this control response to typing into that field. As you start typing the name of the Class into which you are going import instances, a list of class names that match what you've typed appears and from there you can select the one you need.

If you are not seeing any thing pop-up in here when you start typing a class name - watch out, it is case-sensitive! - then please check that your 'reference repository' is set on the "Import Settings" tab. The first column - 'Reference?' - should have a tick in the check-box next to the Example Local Live. The idea here is that you can specify which of your target environments has the meta model (set of classes) that you wish to use, which is great when you have extended the meta model etc.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team