Installation on Ubuntu

gioppo

I'm installing a multiuser configuration on Ubuntu.
Followed the detailed instructions, but have a problem.
When a user logs with the client he doesn't get any project.
I beliege that he has n o access rights on the server.
Can this be.
I've tryed to drop the table and restart after I added to the server object right to another user, but it all crashed and it seems that once you place the metamodel in the DB it cannot be modified, so I'll start all over again on monday.
Any hint?
TIS
Luca
jonathan.carter

Hi Luca. Thanks for posting.

Let me start by asking you some questions:

Which version of Protege are you using, 3.3.1 or 3.4?
Protege 3.4 has only just been properly released (although we've been testing with the release candidate 1) and we are updating the documentation to reflect some of the changes.

In Protege 3.4, the configuration of the metaproject is slightly different to that which is described in the installation guide.
To set it up (as with Protege 3.3.1) you have to open the metaproject.pprj in Protege. Then you need to define the Essential AM Repository project. This has moved slightly in version 3.4 and Project instances are now found under a Class called PolicyControlledObject.
Make sure that you have the path to the PPRJ file for the Essential repository correctly defined - and it's best to use the fully-qualified path, e.g. /Users/...
You might also need to define a Server instance (again, under the PolicyControlledObject Class) if it's not already there. Make sure that you have the AllowedGroupOperations defined for your Server instance and that you've added your users to the Groups in the User instances.

Is the Protege Server running correctly?
Start the Protege Server from a Terminal window to make sure all is working properly. Run the /Applications/Protege_3.x/run_protege_server.sh file and make sure that there are no errors reported as it starts up. When it has started, you'll see the message:
"Protege server ready to accept connections..."

Check the terminal window when you attempt to connect to the server from the Protege client. If there are any issues with the project configurations in the metaproject, errors will be reported.
e.g. If the database containing the Essential repository is not running, then the project will not be available to the client (assuming that you've converted the project to use the database backend). In this case you'll see an error on the terminal window like:
'WARNING: Missing project at...'

It is important to complete all of the installation steps (e.g. Step 9, Repository Database Configuration) before attempting to open the Essential repository.

Some points to note:
The metaproject is a file not database. This file is used to control the configuration of the Protege server but is always a file-based Protege project, not in the database. The default location for this is /Application/Protege_3.x/examples/server. If you've moved this metaproject.pprj to another location, you need to specify this new location in the run_protege_server.sh script. For simplicity of install, this is why we guide you through using the default metaproject rather than shipping one with our repository.
When you make changes to the metaproject.pprj in Protege, you must restart the server for these to take effect. This includes adding users and changing user rights. In Protege 3.4, some new features have been added that allow you to add users from the client but requires you to enable this capability via a property. It is not available by default.

Dropping the Database containing the Essential Repository will certainly break the Protege project. If you've dropped the table, then you should recreate this by opening the essential_baseline_v1.pprj that you downloaded and converting it to use the database backend again.

The Essential metamodel can be extended and modified and instances can be added as much as you need when the project is running on the database backend. As I mentioned, the metaproject is not stored in the database.

It may be worth having a look at the Protege Client-Server Tutorial for some extensive documentation on setting up the server. In particular, the new administration tools that come with version 3.4.

Hopefully, this will help resolve the issues that you're having. Please don't hesitate to post back with more details about your configuration and the answers to my questions and we will get this working.

Let us know how you get on

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gioppo

Ok here some answer.I'm using protege 3.4
The server is working, but the annotation project does not exist.
I hoped it created it automatically, but not, is it missing from the package or do I have to create them anew, if so how?
I'm new of protegè starting to use it for this project.
I'lll check the doc you suggested, but it seem that as you wrote there is something more to do.
In the case I'll try to document it and publish it.
Luca
gioppo

OK installed protege from scratch.
Server works.
Client connect and get the list of projects.
now will backup the metaproject files before doing anything.
L
jonathan.carter

Hi Luca,

Great to hear that you've got it all working now. Thanks for letting us know.

The annotations project that you mentioned only gets created when you start using 'Collaborative Protege' by enabling the Changes tab. A new feature of Protege 3.4 is that the repository for the changes can now be stored in the database and I would strongly recommend that if you are using the Changes, to store the annotations project in the database. It can quickly grow very large and leads to memory issues if it is stored using the file-based approach.
The annotations project is managed just like any other Protege project and to make it use the database backend, use the same approach as you did to configure the Essential repository to use the database.

Keep us posted about how you are getting on with your project!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gioppo

Ok.
Here is a link to a short description of what I did to make it work.
Let me know if there is something wrong.
Will start using it and let you know.
Luca
jonathan.carter

Thanks Luca - that is very helpful.

We'll get the installation documentation updated to reflect what is new for Protege 3.4

Jonathan
Essential Project Team