Hosted Essential?

EAJoe

Hello,

I am an EA in a small organization, with limited resources. Very intrigued by essential, we are hoping to pursue its use in a "hosted" environment. Having very limited experience with essential and platforms like google apps, my novice thinking is that essential uses a vanilla Tomcat container and I should be able to find a provider for this?

I'd be grateful for expert thoughts on this approach before I go down a rabbit hole.

Thanks.
jonathan.carter

Providing Essential Architecture Manager as a hosted service is on our roadmap, although not available right now. This would cover both the modelling (Protege) side and the web-based Viewer capability (running in Tomcat).

In terms of the Tomcat requirements, Essential Viewer requires no special configuration of Tomcat for most scenarios. However, as your repository grows, Tomcat may require more memory than the default configuration.

On this basis, you should be able to host Essential Viewer on a vanilla Tomcat container.

The only other consideration that I can think of is that the modelling environment, running in Protege, needs to communicate with the Essential Viewer environment, running in Tomcat. If you have Tomcat hosted remotely, e.g. on the Internet, you may need to think about any proxy servers that you might have in place between you and the Tomcat environment.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Essential Project Team