Windows 7 Installation

[email protected]

Hi,I am trying to insall the software on a windows 7 laptop and am hitting a couple of problems which may or may not be related to Windows 7.

1) Report Service URL:
http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/reportService.

Can you advise what should be used for a local (i.e. laptop) installation as it present the error: Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
Essential Viewer ReportService could not be found at this URL.

2) When installing essentialinstall.jar it fails to modify or load files into any directories etc within "program files". I am an administrator on the system and if I install the programs i.e. Apache etc into another location it does work without error.

Thanks
Juan E

Martin,

I had a similar problems which may be the same. For question 1, you may have tried this but I hadn't extracted the war file which I had to do from the Tomcat admin pages.

For question 2, even though I have administrator rights, I had to right click and explicitly use 'run as administrator' to get it to install under Program Files. That worked for me.

Hopefully that helps.
[email protected]

Just an update.

I eventually got it working with Protege 3.4.4 and Tomcat 6.0.29.
jonathan.carter

Thanks for the update, Martin. Great to hear.

I'm going to look at the installer to see what we can do to ensure that it runs in privileged mode on Windows 7.

Sounds like your issue with the Essential Viewer may have been that your Tomcat was not set to deploy the WAR automatically. I will update the install guides to cover this and include JuanE's recommendation.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Just a quick post to let you know that I've successfully tested an updated installer on a Windows 7 platform. I'd like to do some further tests (in particular on Windows 7 systems that have experienced this problem) to make sure that this works before I release the updated version, though.

I've also added Juan E's suggestions to the 'Troubleshooting' sections of the install guides. Thanks for your help

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Additional testing of the updated installer has completed successfully.
The updated installers have now been uploaded. Anyone who is experiencing trouble installing Essential Architecture Manager, the Essential Integration Tab or the Essential Update should re-download the installer and try again.

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Gary Turner

Hello

For info;

I had to start Tomcat as an administrator in order to unpack the Enterprise_Viewer.war file, and I also had to run Protege as administrator to successfully publish to enterprise viewer.

Regards,
Gary
jonathan.carter

Thanks Gary,

I'll take a look at that - but just to confirm, the Essential Widgets installed correctly into the Protege plugins folder using the installer?

The issue you have now is that Tomcat needs to be running as an admin to deploy the installed WAR file (again, can you confirm that the WAR file was installed in the correct location by the installer?) and that Protege needs to be running as an admin account to use the Essential Architecture Reporting tab?

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team