Simplified and Graphical modelling

Aaron

Firstly I think this is great work. Two things are puzzling me though:
1) Is there a case for a cut down/simplified model to support enterprises being able to take an iterative, incremental approach to modelling the enterprise? The model already supports this, but can we provide a simplified view to the audience (modeller and viewer) that represents a simplified subset of objects and support relationships. One which does not exclude taking the next incremental step. An example maybe an organisation day one wants to capture its applications the gross interfaces and which high level business processes they support. Day two they may wish define the services the application provides and how they support the business processes. Etc. etc..
2) I’m thinking about integrating model with Visio, to be able to graphically represent data based on the constraints of the model. The rationale is to provide a rich graphical environment, with the constraints of the underlying model and the data derived either directly from the central repository or xml output file. This is an approach I have implemented before based on a proprietary modelling solution. Is there an existing or better alternate to this?
sarah.smith

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your post.

To answer your first question, an incremental approach to populating the model is very much what we advocate and recommend. Our approach is to complete as much of the meta model as you can, with details relevant to what you are modelling. If you don’t have the information or are not modelling a particular aspect then just leave it blank.

I think what you may be asking is whether it is possible to selectively hide certain classes from the meta model to support particular modelling activities, so as to make it appear perhaps a little less daunting. We've had a look and there is no way in Protégé to hide classes in the class hierarchy. However, it is worth pointing out that this is one reason that we’ve constructed the hierarchy as it is in a nested/inheritance tree approach. If you're working on Business Architecture modelling, don't even open up Application_Layer, etc.

It is possible, however, to hide fields on the forms and then bring them back as required. So, if you're first iteration was just about names and definitions, you could hide all the other fields until they are required. However, in practice, I'm not sure this would be very practical and I think the key thing is to make it clear which fields you need to be completed and which ones can be left for now. Some people don't like leaving forms partially completed but it's important that they realise that this is OK.

On the second question, no we don't have an alternative or pre-built integration for Visio, in either direction, i.e. Visio diagram imported into the model or vice versa. However, it sounds like an interesting area and we would be happy to support you in any way we can if you were to develop such a tool, as it would no doubt be valuable to the Community.

Hope this helps.

Sarah
Aaron

Thanks Sarah, as you say my desire was to hide the complexity. This was also true of the viewer as well. I also have some questions around creating a generic reporting capability, but I will post these queries / suggestions separately. As to the Visio integration I will investigate further, time permitting. Visualisation is very important to the EA 'buy in'.
sarah.smith

Aaron,

Thanks, don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any queries or quandries.

Sarah
Clint.Cooper

Hi Aaron,

I had similar issue to you on the visualisation. I've created a python script to export a model into VBA commands that can be ran within Visio.

I haven't looked at importing from Visio but I'm also working on a 'meta' load script. This script generates a python script that can be called to create an instance of the nominated class.

I'll package the Visio export script and upload it via the contribution page later this week. Hopefully it'll be available for download next week.

Sorry I was going to post earlier but was waiting for approval from work.

Clint.